Monday 16 March 2009

Mainly Ladywalk.






Monday 16th March 2009
Travelled down the M40 on Saturday, I knew with such inviting weather Jan and I would see good numbers of Red Kite but we were staggered to see 49 !

After a great weekend in Surrey with my sister and her family I thought I'd try to do some local migrant spotting today. Early days I know but with favourable weather there might be something around.

There's always something, some issue, with a good many local birding sites: at Shustoke, its dogs. Dogs on the banks, dogs in the water, dogs chasing balls dogs chasing each other. Lots of dogs no birds. Moving on after stretching my legs around the reservoir, I scanned every likely 'Wheatear field' but could find nothing. A few Red legged Partridges but no migrants.

Ladywalk is always good value for a couple of hours or three and so it proved. After a bite to eat in the car park I was greeted by a Chiffchaff singing its heart out from the top of a Poplar tree. At the Sainsbury's hide feeding station there was a hive of activity with Brambling, at least 3, Siskin, Lesser Redpoll, Marsh tit and a host of commoner species.

Other species seen around the reserve were Shelduck, Goosander, Great spotted Woodpecker, Oystercatcher, Green Sandpiper and Tawny Owl.
Finally, Steve Cawthray pointed out some 'Hot lips' Fungi. I havent got a clue what they are called but if anyone does know feel free to let me know before I do myself a mischief rummaging around in the attic for my old Observers book of Fungi.

No comments:

Post a Comment