Wednesday 2 December 2009

Not a lot about

Winter moth - Broomey Croft, Kingsbury

Presumed Common Buzzard

Lesser Redpoll

Wednesday 2nd December 2009

Few things to clear up from yesterday before we get on with todays little adventure. Reed Buntings are flourishing if numbers at Marsh Lane are anything to go by according to Lee Johnson so I obviously haven't been looking in the right places. Nothing new there. And the moth in todays Gallery landed on my car last night as I was leaving Broomey Croft, Kingsbury.

OK, today then. Had a little run out, in a Jeremy Clarkson sort of way, to Draycote Water, that haven of Aquatic goodies. I decided to walk the long way round or clockwise. First thing to see was the Fire and Rescue service checking their inflatables for leaks in anticipation of severe local flooding, perhaps? At least that was my take on what they were doing. Plenty of Blackbirds and Redwings in the hedges as I walked to Rainbow corner where I chatted to a Severn Trent worker who was watching a shoot. There were a few Pheasants getting up but I didnt see a single Partridge while I was watching. An odd looking Buzzard perched in the next field was totally unconcerned by events. At the valve tower were 5 Goosander but no sign of the reported Red breasted Merganser. The walk round the back was largely uneventful except for small flocks of Lesser Redpolls in the Alders. I scanned the centre of the reservoir at regular intervals but there was no sign of the Merganser or indeed the Great Northern Diver. The female Common Scoter was still there though.
In Toft the Green winged Teal was in its usual position on the shoreline and a flock of Fieldfare were in the bushes between the two car parks. I met Lee Johnson and had another go at looking for the Diver but again we came up blank. Lee did spot a massive flock of birds in the far distance beyond the inlet. No idea what they were but from the thousands of birds involved best guess would probably be Starlings.
I had hoped to look in at Brandon but by mid afternoon it was very gloomy so I opted for Morrisons to restock Hula hoops (half price at the moment).

No comments:

Post a Comment