Friday 3 September 2010

Local stuff

Reed warbler, near Caldecote,Warks
Reed warbler

Reed warbler

Reed warbler

Southern Hawker

Migrant Hawker, Alvecote pools

Bean harvesting

Ridin' shotgun

One for the pot

Friday 3rd September 2010

Its become a bit of a habit but the bushes near the Coventry canal near Caldecote have become part of my daily routine. Today the first bird I saw was a Redstart but it became elusive which is birder talk meaning I didnt see it again. I did see the Reed warblers again though and this time managed to get some reasonable photos. Todays birding was interupted though by some lads in a Land Rover driving round with shot guns. I nodded at them and they nodded at me and we both went about our businesses. Things got interesting later on though when the Bean harvester went by with a guy riding Shotgun. Gawd knows what elf and safety would have to say about it but its an age old country activity. He was popping away at the rabbits as they ran out of the Bean field across the sheep pasture.
I moved on to Legion Wood near Grendon where there was a few Willow warblers and Chiffchaffs and a single Goldcrest near the parking area but little else. Moving on to Mill pool, Alvecote I met up with Roy who had just picked out 3 Pintail from the large number of Wildfowl on the pool which also included a few Wigeon.

Total number of bird species reported in Warwickshire so far this year = 188

No comments:

Post a Comment