Wednesday 1 September 2010

Supermarket Dash

Curlew Sandpiper, moulting adult - Draycote Water

Curlew Sandpiper

Redstart, Caldecote bushes earlier in the day

Curlew Sandpiper with Dunlin

Juvenile Ringed Plover

Confrontation in the Bath

Curlew Sandpiper, Draycote Water

Dunlin in flight

Wednesday 1st September 2010

Stayed local yesterday and this morning with walks round Caldecote and Burton Hastings, very little to blog about yesterday, but today was quite a different story with new birds in 'the bushes' on the Caldecote walk. The first birds had me puzzled, a pair of probable Reed warblers but I wasnt sure and didnt have my camera with me, or a note book and pencil ! I needed a second opinion and Steve Haynes was only too pleased to come over and confirm they were Reed warblers. We also found a new Redstart, a smart adult male. Other birds seen in the area included, Whitethroat, Swift, Reed Bunting, Yellow Wagtail, Sparrowhawk and Great spotted Woodpecker.
Dont you just hate it when somebody at the self check-out at the supermarket starts talking on the mobile phone. I know I would but this time it was me taking a call from Dennis Woodward. He'd heard that there were 4 Curlew Sandpipers at Draycote Water. Cheers Dennis, that was my afternoon sorted out if I could get this checkout finished. I struggle with Mono-tasking so unlike many women I know I cant talk on the phone and complete some other task without making a complete cock-up of it.
Anyway, eventually I gets to Draycote Water and ticks Curlew Sandpiper (165) for the year. I have to say Draycote was at its best. Bathed in warm sunshine, hardly a breath of wind and hardy another soul around. To top it all a variety of waders to watch, appreciate and photograph. In addition to the Curlew Sands. there were Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Sanderling and Ruff. Great stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Great shots Bob.Luckily they stayed and were there on Thursday morning.

    ReplyDelete