Monday 12 November 2012

From the sublime to the ridiculous

Monday 12th November 2012
From the joy of watching the grace and agility of a local S E Owl in the late afternoon sunshine to the resignation of watching a dull duck on a grey, wet day in Sussex. I drove down to Pagham in Sussex with John Terry to see a Hooded Merganser. It was high water when we arrived and the bird was visible but distant. The skies were heavy and rain was soon upon us. The Merganser disappeared so we took sanctuary in the car after nearly an hour we emerged as the rain eased off but there was still no sign until a single duck flew in to join a group of Wigeon. After preening on the bank it flew in close to the sluice but then almost immediately flew a little way further out. At least we had seen it. To me there was nothing to suggest it wasnt a wild bird but then what do I know?I'll leave it up to those who know about such things but I do know I wont be chasing another one even if its whistling the star spangled banner!
Hooded Merganser, Pagham, Sussex
Hooded Merganser
Hooded Merganser

No comments:

Post a Comment