Saturday 14 September 2013

A day of two halves

Saturday 14th September 2013
I spent the morning at Blithfield Reservoir, Staffs. After viewing the Common Crane in Tad bay it was round to Blithe bay and the causeway to see what else was around. In fact there were a good many birds around. Yellow wagtails, Meadow pipits and Linnets were quite numerous. There were 3 Greenshank, at least 5 Ruff, 20+ Dunlin, a similar number of Ringed plover and a single Little Stint. The place deserved more time but I had a date back in Tamworth and then decisions to be made in Nuneaton.
Common Crane, Blithfield res., Staffs.
Common Crane
Common Crane
Yellow wagtail
Meadow Pipit
Little Stint
Little Stint
After being dragged, kicking and screaming round Carpet shops in the early afternoon I spent the remainder of the afternoon enjoying the relative peace and quiet of 'the patch'. I mingled with the resident sheep but carpets were never mentioned. I don't know how many times I'd searched the bushes in the last few weeks but I was beginning to despair that I was not going to get a Redstart this Autumn. So it was quite satisfying to finally see one today. There was also a Peregrine making some half hearted attempts to catch Feral pigeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment