Friday 12 June 2015

The West Midlands Melodious Warbler

Thursday 11th June 2015
Its taken a few days to get back to any serious local birding. Playing catch up really looking for species like Spotted Flycatcher and Cuckoo that weren't 'in' before I went away. Yesterday I spent a good deal of time in the Tame valley ending up with my first look at the Avocets at Middleton Lakes. The canal walk from Broomey Croft didnt do my Plantar fasciitis any good but at least I saw Hobby on the way. Back at the car I got a well timed message about a probable Marsh warbler near Marsh Lane N.R. I dithered about going as I had to collect some compost from Atherstone. Luckily I had my Pork pie lunch with me so at least I wouldn't be hungry as I dithered. More messages came, the bird was now thought to be either an Icterine or a Melodious warbler. Intriguing, the gardening would have to wait and after a short journey I arrived on site. The bird was in some trees and gorse on the edge of a recycling plant. Though singing almost continuously the bird was very difficult to see. Alan Dean who found the bird  had recorded the bird's song and had come to the opinion that it was a Melodious warbler.  As the bird gave better and more prolonged views it was agreed by the other 'local' birders on site that it was indeed a Melodious warbler. Only the 3rd record for the West Midlands region.

Melodious Warbler

Melodious Warbler

Melodious Warbler

Melodious Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment