Wednesday 18 January 2017

Glaucous Gull and Bearded Tits

Wednesday 18th January 2017

A set off with the intention of looking for a Glaucous Gull on the Bubbenhall pools but I didnt quite make it. I overshot Pagett's Lane and found myself driving past a thick hedge through which I could make out Gulls, a lot of gulls. At the first opportunity I turned off on to Watery lane where I could look at the Gulls in safety in a field of winter wheat. It wasnt too long before a juvenile Glaucous Gull was picked out. A great start to the day despite the misty damp weather.

Glaucous Gull, juv. Bubbenhall

I eventually moved on to Napton Res. Although the light was poor there was barely a breath of wind so good conditions for Bearded tit finding. As usual it was some time before my quarry was seen. There were a lot of reeds to scan but eventually some moment was detected. Several birds could be seen working their way through the reeds occasionally showing in the tops near the pointed end of the reed bed. I focused on one stunning male.

Bearded Tit, Male, Napton Reservoir

Beared Tit, female

1 comment: